Monday, December 6, 2010

Killers

ALERT: If you're a religious person, I suggest you don't read this, but you make the ultimate decision.

You might be wondering what book I just finished, but you might also not be wondering, due to that fact that you're "preoccupied" with stuff already.  Reading this is a good break from whatever you may be doing at the moment, so I suggest you just sit down, relax, and read the blog.

So.  The book I just finished happens to be the third book in a series, which goes by the name of Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, while the specific book is called Soul Eater.  To understand basics on the series, read my post that has gone by the name of "ELA: Wolf Brother...1".  In the book, the main character, Torak, is forced to get closer to his enemies than ever before, because they have captured his "pack brother", Wolf.  This is not a spoiler because it happens within the first few pages of the book.

One thing I noticed in the book was that it had a lot to do with the "World Spirit", and how people thank it when they get a good hunt or something, and how they ask for it's forgiveness when they've done something wrong.  When Torak was forced to kill a hunter (the hunter he killed happened to be a type of owl), which was against the laws of the clan and the forest, he asked for forgiveness in his head.

This reminds me of what some people do today.  Some people, when they do something bad or wrong, they ask for forgiveness from God or whoever they worship.  So ask yourself, after I tell you: some things in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness are true, like the fact that 6,000 years ago, people believed in this kind of stuff with the "World Spirit" and everything, or at least some of it.  So ask yourself this: have human beings REALLY changed in the last 6,000 years?

I don't really think we have.  We still believe in stuff kind of like that, except we call it "God".  So, have we changed?  Or haven't we?  You might have been asking yourself this since the line in which I mentioned: have human beings...  What's changed inside us?  Maybe some things have changed on the outside, but has much changed inside of us?

So all this leads me, and hopefully you at this point, to believe that not only are we not so different from humans 6,000 years ago, but we're also not so different to fictional characters in stories with fictional minds that think in terms of fiction and stuff that isn't real.  Are we thinking about stuff that isn't real?  Is it real, or is it all in our minds?

One last thing you must be wondering: why is this post titled "Killers"?  I would say it's because there is a killer inside everyone, whether merciless, merciful, or a beggar of forgiveness from the one they worship.  But you can probably see that from reading this anyway.             

3 comments:

  1. ALERT: i am religious being and i have read the forbiden

    ReplyDelete
  2. very insightful to say we haven't changed for 6000 years ago [I say sarcastically]which people have been saying for more than 6000 years :( so i guess you're right :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a really thought provoking post, henry.

    ReplyDelete