Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What Is Dark?

First, I'll tell you why I haven't posted in so long.  No, wait, nevermind, I won't tell you.  That's confidential, so DON'T ASK.  And it's not because I JUST DIDN'T FEEL LIKE IT, so don't assume that.  That's all I will tell you.  

I'm still reading the book I was reading before, even though it's not too long of a book.  It's a book that goes by the name of The Dark Is Rising.  Pretty positive name, right?  Anyway, it's about a kid who's 11 years old who has these powers, and he has to look for these six "Signs" (that are like circles, I guess), which are iron, bronze, wood, water, fire, and stone.  Now you might be asking yourself: What does this have to do with "The Dark"?  That'd what you're reading this to find out.  If you don't want to find this out, read something else, like the book itself or something.

Take in what I just said.  You might be able to infer that the book doesn't say much about "The Dark".  Well, that depends on what you consider "very much".  I say it doesn't say a whole lot, except for the fact that there is this one character who is from "The Dark" (so the dark is a side basically.  You know, like good vs. evil?  It's supposed to be the evil side), called The Rider, who looks more or less like Death on a black horse (not only is he described in the book, but he is also pictured on the front cover of the book).

So, you more or less know what "The Dark" is: a side, that happens to be the side of evil in the story.  However, you don't know what "The Dark" REALLY is.  Just like in a book, where you have to learn what the author is REALLY trying to tell you, or in other words, what the theme is, you have to learn what "The Dark" really is and what it means.  So what does it REALLY mean?

Now, just like you, I don't have all the answers, and can never guarantee anything is for sure, but I can tell you what I think.  I think that the Dark really just resembles all the evil in the real world.  The evil inside of us, the evil outside of us, the evil of the speaker of the poem I read in ELA today, and what I like to call The Evil That Men Do, or the bad things that people do, that they sometimes don't even know they're doing or that what they're doing is bad.

My other theory is the theory of literal dark, and literal darkness, only resembled higher.  It is still something that some people may even consider to be evil or bad: literal darkness.  Now, most of us probably all think it's silly to be afraid of the dark, but is it really?  Is it really bad to be afraid of the dark?  Is it really that silly and wrong to have a Fear Of The Dark?  Some people call it paranoia, some call it other things, but there is no doubt that everyone experiences all the time or has at least once experienced  what there is no more to be said for: Fear Of The Dark.  It's an uncomfortable feeling, that no one really likes, possibly because they may think it's too childish, or more likely (but they just won't admit it) they are actually afraid of the dark, afraid that someone or something is there, watching them.

So.  What is your Theory Of The Dark?

No comments:

Post a Comment