I'm actually reading more than one book right now, but the main book I'm really reading right now is the fourth book in a series that is relatively new (in comparison with other series', like Harry Potter and Twilight. The series and the first book is called "Tunnels", but the book I happen to be on goes by the name of "Closer". The series is about a boy named Will who finds a world underneath the earth while searching for his father (who also was searching for the world and found it as well) with his friend.
SPOILER ALERT from here on out.
His friend and he find an even deeper underground world, eventually falling upon Will's father, and they eventually meet some new friends along the way (though many more enemies), and Will makes shocking discoveries, most of which were made in book 1.
In book 4, "Closer", Will is with his father and in a land beneath the earth where there is a second sun. His father is an archaeologist, and so is fascinated by everything there and is pulling together info so when they go back above ground, he can share his discoveries with the world. Anyways, Will (and a girl he met somewhere along the way named Elliot, who is a friend, who may end up being more than a friend to Will) and his father, Dr. Burrows, come across enemies, and a deal is made. One person will not leave with their life. Here's where the big spoiler comes in: it's Will's father, Dr. Burrows, who does not make it out with his life.
When I read this part, I just felt so shocked, and actually, genuinely sad. I felt emotions stronger than I had before in many other books. It may have been because Will's father was such an important character, and it just seemed like he was really going to live throughout the whole series, and there would be some great part at the end where Dr. Burrows shared all his discoveries with the world alongside his son, Will, and all the enemies would be gone.
Now, I'm realizing that there are many books with depressing endings (this realization will show out in my next independent writing piece), tragic endings, unhappily ever after endings, whatever you'd like to call it. The point is, not just some books don't have happy endings. Many books don't. It makes you see how much hate and depression there is in life, and how bad life can really be. Most of all and last of all, it just shows that things don't turn out the way we expect, or the way we hope, or the way we wish.
No comments:
Post a Comment