Wednesday, October 13, 2010

ELA: Wolf Brother...1

     I was having trouble coming up with something to write about on my book.  Then, I found something.  Something that instantly got me thinking, and something that said to me: "I should write about this!"
     So now that you know I have something to say, you might be wondering what it is.  Well, I'll tell you in just a sec.  First, I should at least give you an overview on the book.  It's called Wolf Brother (by Michelle Paver) and it's about a kid who's 12 years old, and lives in the forest with every other human being 6,000 years ago.  He turns out to be this "chosen one" and is the only one who can defeat a certain form of evil.
     Anyway, what I read in the book was something Torak, the main character, said.  This is what he said: "So I've got to find a mountain that nobody's ever seen.  And work out a riddle that nobody's ever solved.  And kill a bear that nobody can fight."  Now is it just me, or does that instantly just get you thinking? It forces you to think, and this is what came to my mind.  I thought at first, hmm...this gets me thinking, but right now, I don't know what about.  Soon after that, I figured out what it gets me thinking about: stuff like this tends to happen to main characters in most of the books I read.  They get stuck in a situation where they have to do one or more things that seem impossible, that nobody's ever done, that gives them the feeling that they want to stop and head back, or go home, or whatever.  If you've never read a book in which the main character has gotten into a situation somewhat like the one I described, then you probably don't read much fiction, or maybe you just don't read at all.  I don't know.  All I know is I've read enough books in which this situation happens to the main character, or at least something like this situation.
     But maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe this doesn't force you're brain to think.  Maybe I'm just used to being forced to think.  I don't know, but it seems to me that this isn't the case.  Maybe you should read this again, and this time, think.        

1 comment:

  1. this is a very interesting quote from the book...it would be fun to think about the kinds of people who would have thoughts like this. what motivates them to *want* to do these things that seem impossible? do people with dreams as big as that tend to succeed?

    ReplyDelete