This was a song that I listened to today in class. Now if you want me to be honest (which you may not, but I'll be honest anyway because that's how I am), I wasn't crazy about the song. I didn't like the genre it was in; I couldn't even describe it. And it was hard to figure out the meaning of the lyrics; but then I saw the video.
In the music video, it starts out boring with the singer, Sarah McLachlan, in a few shots. But then, there are many scenes in the video where it talks about how money is spent, and it compares that with precisely how the money could be spent. For example, it said that $15K could be spent on something or other, but it was instead spent on an ambulance that would treat about 150,000 people in its span.
Also, I noticed how it talked about how much money people were making in certain places. For example, it talked about how a woman in Africa made precisely the $200 a year that it cost to allow her son to go to school and get an education. Also, it said how she sold oranges at 2¢ each for extra money, and how if she was lucky, she would sell 50 a night. 50 oranges=only $1-which may as well be nothing to most people, but was probably necessary to live for that woman.
I noticed that the lyrics of the song could have meant a couple of things, but you couldn't tell exactly what-that is, until you saw the video. It really had a lot of those scenes about how money is spent but how it could be spent, or the other way around.
Now this really makes you think, or at least, it made me think. Are we spending our money right? When I borrow $1 just about every day from a friend to buy a quick snack because I'm a bit hungry, I'm actually paying for an unnecessary luxury, whereas the money could be given to someone like that woman in Africa who needed it so badly, she was selling 50 oranges to try to get it. Now think. Every week, most people go out for lunch maybe once or twice and get $10 bucks. Now think: if $1 could make a huge difference, how much of a difference could $10 bucks make? What about $100? What about $1,000? The higher the numbers go, the more they can pay for, and the more money that could go to something necessary to save lives is spent on casual everyday luxuries that none of us need.
Maybe the song's bad, but think. It gives an honest message: we can spend money on better things than what we're spending it on. So why don't we? Think about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment